Friday, January 22, 2010

The Best Vacation Ever

I've been to plenty of fantastic places all around the world. However the most memorable of these trips would undoubtedly be my vacation to Europe when I was only six. It was a two weeks long vacation. We went to Switzerland, London, Paris, and Amsterdam. When the plane first touched down at the London Airport, We decided to give dinner a skip and familiarize with the place although we were on a tour - so it was unlikely that we might get lost. But as the saying goes, it’s better to be safe than sorry. The hotel was quite a distance from the airport. Thus taking a bus there was essential. I thought the buses would be similar to those in Singapore but to my amazement and delight the buses were double decked with an open roof. While travelling on the bus, my eyes had the opportunity to appreciate the nightlife of London, one of the most metropolitan cities in the world. The very next day after having a good's night rest, we decided that the Queens palace should be our next destination. When we reached the palace, it was unusually crowded with civilians and security. Spotting a side door which led into the palace we all sneaked in and we found ourselves in an empty bedroom- the room had a rather big mirror and a thick bed. The theme of the room was obviously silver and white. After leaving the room and joining tee crowd in what seemed like a ceremony, we were fascinated to find out that it was the Queen's Birthday. I felt so lucky to be there to witness such a grand procession. The Queen with a silky green gown and soldiers arrived in a carriage with stallions galloping all around it. It was truly a sight to behold! Immediately after this, took a walk to the infamous Big Ben which towered over us. Although it was just a clock tower, when viewed in real life, it looked glories and antique. Continuing on our walk, the London eye captured our attention. Though the queue was pretty long, we decided to queue- because leaving London without taking a ride on the London Eye would be ridiculous and simply insane, to put it in layman terms. Eventually when I boarded one of the cabins of the Ferris wheel, excitement started building up within me. Then the wheel started rotating slowly, giving everyone an opportunity to appreciate the scenery of London. Alighting from the London eye, the next destination was Amsterdam. Upon reaching Amsterdam we visited the Oude Kirk- the oldest church in Amsterdam. It was built in the 14-th century. It is currently now a gothic and cultural monument. The interior was dark, the only light was from the flickering candles, the glass stained windows gave an eerie and creepy look to the church. If I were to go on talking about my adventures, you might start to doze off- so let me continue with my trip to Paris. In Paris our first destination was the Eiffel tower. And guess what? When we reached there we were told that the lift wasn't working. But determined to scale the architectural marvel, we started walking up the spiraling steps. From the top, the whole of Paris was visible to our eyes. The air was slightly colder due to the higher altitude I guess. The last thing we did in Paris was too visit the Disneyland there, which I have to say, was not up to my standards. However, I was still young and could not take much of the rides. Beside the Disneyland, there was a house of horrors which sold masks and displayed bloody models of dead humans and Fountains bubbling with blood-red water. It really freaked me out. Because since I was young I thought it was actually real. But my parents then managed to assure me that it was all just for show. After this we went to the hotel, went to airport next day to catch a flight to Switzerland Blah Blah Blah...... (Fast forward) Plane touched down at the airport in Switzerland. Immediately after, after checking in into our hotel which was just beside the mountain top, we had our breakfast- a wide spread of pastries and cakes. Once we ate finish, we had short nap followed by a cable ride to the highest peak of a particular mountain ( forgot the name). On the mountain we really had agood time playing with snow running across the barren white land. There was also a hailstorm when we left the mountains and was walking across Lke Zurich which was filled with elegant white swans. That's the end of my fantastic holiday, I guess. I really hope to visit Europe again, this time with a camera to take some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment